Ratios will depend on the strength of your microwave, but approximate guidelines are:
Long grain rice
- Combine 1 cup (250mL) rice and 2 cups (500mL) water in a 6-cup (1.5L) microwavable baking dish or glass bowl.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to MEDIUM-HIGH and cook for 9-10 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes or until water has been absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork before serving.
If desired, add 1 tsp (5mL) salt and 1 tbsp (15mL) butter before cooking.
Short grain rice
- Proceed in the same manner as for long grain rice, but cook for only 12 minutes at MEDIUM-LOW, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Proceed as for long grain rice, but cook for 45 minutes at MEDIUM-LOW, stirring twice with a fork during cooking.
- Let stand 5-8 minutes after cooking.
Time-Wise (quick cooking)
- Proceed as for long grain rice but cook for 4-6 minutes at HIGH, then let stand for 2-3 minutes while covered.